Friday 28 October 2016

‘Every time he wanted to have sex I refused, and then he would rape me and beat me up’: Boko Haram escapee reveals the horrors of life with a terrorist group


Aminata*, 17, was taken by the Islamic group from her hometown Borno State in Nigeria two years ago and married off to an insurgent.
She had no choice but to live with the group who made her 'witness terrible things.'
I came in contact with Boko Haram insurgents in my hometown in Borno State, north-eastern Nigeria. 
They saw me at
my uncle’s house during their first attack on our town. I have lived
with my uncle since I was two years old.
My biological father and family live in Cameroon.
Boko Haram invaded the town and convinced my uncle to join them. They also asked if there were any girls in his compound. They offered 1,000 naira for each girl.
I was sitting next to my grandmother when they dragged me to a car. They took me to an unknown location outside my town. 
They had taken me and another 14 girls from my neighbourhood. I was held there for two months and then I was forced to marry one of the insurgents. 
Before you marry an insurgent, you are a maid. You wash plates and cook for the insurgents. But when you get married, you become a wife and also focus on only him.
The ‘wedding’ had nothing. There was no clothing, no lotions, no creams, no
It was just in my old clothes that I went to the house of my ‘husband’, which was just a hut with a room in it. That was where we lived. 
And every time he wanted to have sex I refused, and then he would rape me and beat me up. I cannot count the number of times he has beaten me.
I lived there with the armed group for two years. It was a very bad experience. I have witnessed terrible things, including the slaughtering of women in a town by the insurgents. 
They killed women who refused to marry them. Once they caught someone who had married another wife without telling them. 
They buried him up to his head in the ground. Then they stoned his head until he died. It was a public punishment that we were forced to watch.
In some villages, when they attack, they steal cattle and sell it off before feeding their wives and children. 

No comments: