Monday 30 January 2017

"being alive in that camp (BokoHaram) was already the worst thing that could happen to me - Dada, Boko Haram victim exclaimed


“I never considered him my husband. If I liked him, I wouldn’t have run away. I felt like a living ghost. I was not afraid to escape, being alive in that camp was already the worst thing that could happen to me,” said Dada, pictured here with her baby. Dada was abducted by Boko Haram fighters with her
older sister. She managed to escape a year ago, but her sister did not. Kidnappings like Dada’s were not uncommon in northern Nigeria, yet it was only when the group abducted 276 schoolgirls from their dormitory in the town of Chibok in 2014 that the world took notice. With the mantra “Bring Back Our Girls,” the issue exploded on social media. But with little news from the remote region, the public’s interest waned. “Nearly 3 years later it’s now becoming apparent that the Chibok abductions were just one instance of a profoundly disturbing tactic: child marriage as a weapon of war,”

Credit: New York Times

No comments: